ACTIVITIES You can do as a Mentor
- Play chess, Chinese checkers, or card games. If you do not know how, learn together.
- Jigsaw puzzles, crossword puzzle, or word search.
- Build with Legos.
- Paint a picture or use crayons in a coloring book.
- Write a story or poem together.
- Build a fort.
- Make a time capsule.
- Play tennis
- Go mini golfing
- Take a walk.
- Catch a ball.
- Toss a Frisbee.
- Fly a kite.
- Go for a hike.
- Go fishing.
- Go rock hunting.
- Have a picnic.
- Wash your car.
- Go roller-skating, roller -blading, or ice-skating.
- Rent a canoe.
- Set up a lemonade stand.
LIFE SKILL & CONVERSATION TOPICS
- Teach courtesy, respect for others, values.
- Teach personal hygiene-personal cleanliness (eye, teeth, hair and body care).
- Learn to iron and wash clothes.
- Learn to shop for groceries.
- Talk about the future.
- Talk about relationships.
- Talk about ways to handle different issues. Use “what if” scenarios.
- Learn about different types of music that you can find on your phone or online.
- Sing or dance to music.
- Go to a movie.
- Design an exercise program and work out together.
- Go to the mall. Eat at the food court or go to the bookstore.
- Make a scrapbook of your experiences together.
- Volunteer together to help an elderly or disabled person clean their house or weed their yard.
- Learn to read a road map, use an atlas, a globe or a compass to find someplace you have never been (in case your GPS ever stops working!)
- Adopt a grandparent at a local nursing home.
- Check your local parks and recreation department for fall foliage walks or activities.
- Check local college and high school sports schedules and choose an event to attend.
New Castle County
- Delaware Art Museum
- DE Children’s Museum
- DE Science and History Museum
- Brandywine Zoo
- Mt. Cuba Astronomical Observatory
- Wilmington and Western Railroad
- Lums Pond State Park
- Brandywine State Park
- Legislative Hall
- Attend an open meeting in the House or Senate Chambers
- Little Creek Wildlife Area
- Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge
- Air Mobility Command Museum (Dover AFB)
- Cape May/Lewes Ferry
- Beaches (Rehoboth, Cape Henlopen, Bethany, etc.)
- Trap Pond State Park
- Abbots Mill Nature Center
- Mispillion River Walk
- Nanticoke River canoeing